Friday, September 16, 2011

Gender Stereotypes


What are the gender stereotypes for your gender? Do your experiences support these stereotypes and would you like to change any?

     Historically women have been viewed as frail, helpless, and delicate. Women have been viewed as dependent, emotional and passive. Women are supposed to always look put together. Heavy emphasis is put on their looks and how they present themselves. Women are thought to be weaker than men. Women are thought to have only jobs that require little to no manual labor.

     My personal experiences do not support these stereotypes. I am not dependent. I am not passive; but quite the opposite. I am not frail or delicate. In fact, I was once a firefighter. I can be a high maintenance type of girl and sometimes I can throw my hair up in a ponytail and go.
I know women who work in construction and I know men who cannot handle manual labor. I know men who make better parents than women do. We are each an individual and there is no clear way either gender should be.

     I would like to change all stereotyping. But, in reference to this question, I would like to change that women are viewed as frail. Not all women are frail, weak, passive, etc. Women should not be viewed as a damsel in distress needing to be saved. 

Plagiarism:
Using someone else's work without giving proper credit, is plagiarism. If you use my work, please reference it.

No comments:

Post a Comment